Ever since before Halloween we've had this cute little pumpkin (given to us by my mother-in-law) hanging around our house. I had every intention of baking it and making my own pumpkin puree for the first time, but just never got around to it. After my mom asked Averie if she was going to make a Thanksgiving centerpiece, this idea came to me out of nowhere, and I must say it turned out way cuter than I'd ever imagined, and it was so easy and inexpensive!
First I cut out a turkey face with the Animal Kingdom cartridge on my Cricut. Then I bought a pack of feathers at Hobby Lobby - with a coupon they were barely over $1, plus we still have tons left for future projects. We used a heavy-duty paper piercer from my scrapbook supplies to poke holes in the pumpkin, and then inserted the tips of the feathers into the holes.
We did this until the whole backside of the pumpkin was covered in feathers, then I attached the turkey face with a floral pin and voila! Instant super-cute centerpiece. And I love how proud Averie looks. :)
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Taking a break from crocheting and knitting gave me a good excuse to finish up my last couple projects for our downstairs 1/2 bath, so now it's pretty much done! I still need to find something to go on the wall above the towel rack, I just haven't found anything inspiring yet (either to buy or copy).
My first project was to make this faux Roman shade valance. I'm not a sewer, but this was so simple and kinda gave me some confidence to tackle more sewing projects. I love how it turned out!
Next, I saw this tutorial on Tatertots & Jello for a painted rug, and since I'd already bought a couple plain white, super cheap bath mats at Ikea, I had the perfect canvas to give it a try! It took two bottles of acrylic craft paint. I just made my stripes the same width as my masking tape, easy peasy, painted it with a sponge brush, and voila! Couldn't have been easier, and now I have a cute one-of-a-kind and--most important--cheap rug for the room.
I had looked around for a tissue box cover but couldn't really find one--they're probably passe and out of style and no one told me. But I wanted one anyway, and finally found an old one at a local thrift store for a buck. I covered it with Mod Podge and patterned paper. The whole thing took maybe 10 minutes.
Lastly, I had found a piece of art that I really wanted for the room at Hobby Lobby, but the colors were just slightly off. So I took a picture of it and loosely re-created it using two canvases, patterned paper, fabric, a crocheted trim, ribbon, felt, and my Cricut.